Monday, February 11, 2008

Counting My Blessings!


Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


About one billion people live in slums and the highest concentration of them can be found in Asia. Emma Joseph took these photos in the Philippines where about 20 million people live in slums.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


One tenth of slum dwellers live in the capital Manila, in neighbourhoods like this one in the Tondo District. Tondo is one of the oldest areas of Manila, and dates back about 1,000 years. But the past has been erased by the present. Today it's one of the most densely populated places on earth. There are 80,000 people per square kilometre, many of whom lack adequate water, housing, sanitation, education, health and employment.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


Alicia's house is a two minute walk from Estella and Cricencio's, and she is one of the lucky few who was given rights to her land by the government who once owned it. "I have the deeds," beams Alicia, a single mother with two children. But her smile fades as she reflects on the reality of living in the slum. "I live about 20 metres from the river," says Alicia. "Every year when the typhoons come, my house gets flooded, and sometimes I am knee deep in water."

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


The river which runs through Tondo is a great source of entertainment for the many young people who live in the slum. Children spend hours swimming in it, but parts of it are choked with garbage. Some of the slum dwellers, like Estella, admit that they throw throw excrement in, because they have no toilet. The river is so polluted that it poses a serious risk to health.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


This woman is fast asleep on a table in the alleyway underneath the bridge. She is oblivious to the constant sound of children at play or doing house work.

I don't know about the rest of you reading this, but I am counting my blessings! That's for damn sure!

5 comments:

Angel in the Sickroom said...

Yes, we should all count our blessings and be thankful that we are very fortunate to be living our current lifestyles.

The pictures speak of the truth about the Philippines. But it wouldn't be fair to equate the Philippines to being just this because the Philippines does have luxurious places especially the Makati business district and some places where the rich would love to stay and play. But it is true that the poor out-weights the rich.

Very nice pictures indeed, it's captivating and bring about great emotions.

coolingstar9 said...

I hope the situation can be improved, no more slum.
have a nice day.

melissa said...

Hello, I am working on a project and would love to have one of your images used in the project. Is there any way that you could email me the second image? I'm doing a photo project of slums around the world. Thank you!

melissa.rhodes@yahoo.com

gigi almonicar said...

am a fellow blogger, and an artist, in my own right:), can i refer on your images for my painting??? I live in NZ, I guess I see a different picture with your images. If people living inside those houses still manage to laugh and smile, amidst that environment, then they are no different from us all. We are, I believe, live in our own worlds, and whether be it in the slums or not, as long as they call it home and happy, I think they are as much blessed. For there are huge houses here but many commit suicide, why? I hope you find the answer.

Anonymous said...

Hello, i would like to ask permission to use one of your photos for my report. I hope it's okay. I will acknowledge you as the source, if ever. Thank you!

Here's me email address for your reply: nathalieting@gmail.com